...I love this
January 14, 2014
Have you seen ‘Masters of Sex’ on Showtime? This beautiful woman stars in the groundbreaking series, and although it didn’t win a Golden Globe this year, I’m quite sure it will in years to come. Lizzy Caplan is all around awesome, and WOAH – that face! I’ve wanted to paint on her since Bridesmaids, and I was lucky enough to have the honor to get her red carpet ready for yesterday’s Golden Globes awards show. I’ve learned that in cases like this, when my client is just as gorgeous as can be with a naked face, my job is to keep her makeup as simple as possible. Hear that? It’s not about the makeup, and I’m okay with it! Particularly when the dress has such a high wow-factor; a gold beaded gown from Pucci does not need to compete with my desire to give everyone a dark smokey eye and magenta lip.
So here’s the rundown on how I accomplished this beautiful minimalist look:
- I started by prepping Lizzy’s skin with a few sprays of RL Linden & Co. Thousand Petal Beautifying Mist (YUM!), and pressing Lina Hanson’s Global Face Serum into her skin.
- On her incredible eyes I used three shades from Kjaer Weiss: Charmed was the base for her entire lid and under eye, Magnetic, a luminous cocoa mink was swept along her lid to add more dimension, and I pressed a slight shading of Earthy Calm into the crease to add depth. I lined the top lid with a bit of Laura Mercier liner in Black Gold, and finished with a ton of Alima Pure mascara in Black, slicked on thoroughly curled lashes.
- I evened out her skin tone with a combo of Kjaer Weis foundation and Vapour Organic Beauty liquid foundation.
- I pressed Ilia’s lovely highlighter in Cosmic Dancer mixed with rms Living Luminizer along the highlights of her face (cheekbones, bridge of nose, cupid’s bow) to make her glow even more. We discussed keeping her cheeks very light on color, so I used just the lightest swirl of Kjaer weis cream cheek color in Desired Glow.
- On her lips, which I first had her scrub with a Burt’s Bees brand new Cucumber & Sage Facial Cleansing Towelette to ensure they were completely smooth and ready for lip color, I painted Peony Lip Shimmer and topped it with a super hydrating coating of Caramel Daisy Tinted Lip Balm, also from Burt’s Bees.
This is a little behind the scenes shot of my makeup set up (Lizzy’s freshly painted nails typing away in the upper right corner) just prior to starting getting her ready: